Content marketing is a demanding job. It requires consistent creativity and persistence, which can be mentally draining. What if you could hire an effective writing assistant with a solid grasp of SEO — who only needs a content brief and minimal supervision — for a fraction of industry costs?
No, we’re not talking about underpaying your freelance writers (don’t do that). We’re talking about artificial intelligence (AI) software that makes your writing more creative, high-converting, and easier to accomplish in less time.
Now that we have your attention, let’s take a look at the benefits of using AI writing assistant software.
7 productivity-boosting benefits of using a writing assistant
Saves time: Instead of the hours spent generating, drafting, and writing content, you can get through the first two phases in minutes. While writing will take more time, it would be less time than if you did it alone.
No writer’s block: With an assistant already clearing the path for you, you’ll never have to look a blank doc in the face again. Writing assistants get you off the ground so your creative juices flow more quickly and you get in the writing groove more quickly.
Saves energy: Content marketing involves more than planning content. You still need to analyze how published content is doing and do research for future work. Without writer’s block and with work getting done faster, you’ll conserve energy for other important work tasks.
Maintains creativity: Writing assistants ensure that you never fall into the trap of formulaic content or stale content trends. They’re creative and — literally — endless wells of inspiration. And all you have to do is click a button for more fresh ideas to pop up.
Allows you to scale: More time + more creativity + more energy sounds like the recipe for more productivity and higher earnings if you ask us! Writing software, combined with your smarts, can take your business to the next level.
Search engine optimization: One of the great things about writing assistant tools is that they work with SEO in mind. SEO is a crucial ingredient for any digital marketing content and these tools always include the keywords and relevant SEO content in your copy.
Objective content: AI writing assistants are as neutral as writers come. They’ll draw on available research and statistics to present you with the most factual, authoritative content out there.
How to use a writing assistant
Wondering how a writing assistant fits into your workflow? Here are some specific ways you can use the software to lighten your load.
Figuring out what to write about can be the toughest step for many marketers. Granted, keyword research helps out a lot with that. However, in-depth keyword research can be tedious for many. Writing assistants give you an easier jump-off point to get the ball rolling.
Here are some ideas AI writer Jarvis generated in under 5 minutes. All we had to do was provide the information on the left.
Writing an outline
Writing without an outline can feel like charting a new course without a map. Writing assistant software can help here, too. These tools draw on SEO and already existing content patterns on the internet to generate comprehensive, SEO-relevant outlines.
Don’t let a poor headline make your article unappetizing. After working hard on skyscraper content, crafting an appealing headline may feel like one more draining task. Happily, you don’t have to go it alone. Let your assistant pick up the slack.
Crafting an intro
We don’t know about you, but many writers agonize over the perfect intro. Should you lead with an emotion-evoking stat, a personality-charged one-liner, or a straight-to-business approach? Before you waste half an hour typing and deleting, delegate the task to an AI writer.
At least, you’ll have a dozen samples (you didn’t write) to choose from. Here’s what we mean.
Writing all kinds of copy
Whether you’re writing copy for landing pages, long-form articles, social media captions, product descriptions, video scripts for YouTube, or cold emails, writing assistants have a template for you!
We all know that first drafts can be messy. Allow writing assistants to clean up your work by clarifying sentences, checking for grammar and spelling, rephrasing for simplicity, and much more.
Writing a conclusion
You’re near the finish line, but how do you close things with a memorable bang? You use a writing assistant tool. Whether you’re after that catchy call-to-action or the concise sentence to wrap things up, you’re covered.
Now, you’re all set! It’s time to meet our favorite writing assistant software picks.
Top 11 writing assistant tools to lighten your workload
Here are 11 highly effective writing assistant tools to take you from content conception to conversion.
- Zoho writing assistant
- Peppertype AI
Our top recommendation is an AI copywriting tool with superb expertise. Jarvis uses natural language processing (NLP) to instantly create original content that sounds human and appeals to search engine
- Versatile: 52+ templates for all kinds of content, from books to long-form articles and short stories.
- Multilingual: Write and receive generated content in 25+ languages.
- SEO-Friendly: Keep content optimized for search engines using Surfer SEO (for Pro subscribers).
- Templates for marketing, social media, blog content, video copy, and more
- An easy-to-use interface allows you to work efficiently
- The new Boss Mode feature allows you to be hands-on with content creation
- Trusted by 20,000 positive reviewers
- Access to live support, help documents, and a Facebook group
- Mobile-friendly app lets you write on the go
- On the pricier side — although the results are worth it
- Writing long-form articles does require some learning time investment at first
Available on: All devices. The web-based app can be used on any device.
Best suited for: Marketers, content writers, copywriters, agencies, and entrepreneurs who create high volumes of content.
2. Zoho Writing Assistant
Zoho is a cloud-based word processor akin to Google Docs. With Zoho, you can create written content on a minimalist interface, review your work with teammates, and then export it to a platform of your choice.
- Focus mode: Focus on one sentence at a time as you write or edit, keeping distractions to a minimum.
- Zia writing assistant: Zoho brings along its free grammar checker to evaluate your copy’s readability, spelling, punctuation, and more.
- Designed for collaboration: Easily share documents with teammates, make edits, and leave comments.
- Free to use — and signing up is super easy
- Work offline and then sync your work to other devices once your internet is back up — no more annoying “Reconnecting” messages in the middle of your work
- Word processing templates for creating resumes, brochures, posters, and more
- Connect with colleagues via Cliq, export straight to WordPress, work with Zoho on any browser, and many more integrations
- Send documents for bulk signing and track the entire process from your dashboard
- The interface is a bit dated and the icons aren’t intuitive to use
Available on: Web with all capable devices and Android and iOS devices with the apps.
Best suited for: Copywriters and content marketers looking for a richer Google Docs alternative.
3. Writing Assistant
WritingAssistant is an AI-powered software that works to improve written content by enhancing grammar and clarity. It examines copy, flags errors, and suggests changes for improvement.
- Minimalist interface: Uncluttered user interface is simple to use.
- Downloadable analysis report: Allows you to download an analysis report for your copy.
- Basic writing improvements: Corrects for grammar, spelling, tone, and clarity.
- Offers explanations for grammatical corrections
- My Dictionary feature allows you to add unknown words to prevent re-flagging
- Includes resources such as writing improvement lessons to strengthen your writing
- Saves all your uploads so you never miss a beat
- Gives back to five kids in need with every new Pro plan subscriber
- Corrections are not as comprehensive as other competitors
- Very limited free plan
Available on: Web and Microsoft Word. Coming soon to Outlook.
Best suited for: Content writers looking for a more affordable grammar checker.
ShortlyAI, recently acquired by Conversion AI, is an AI writing assistant that continues writing for you. This tool requires that you write at least one sentence and then it keeps trucking along the rest of the way for you.
- Works for long-form content: ShortlyAI works both for articles and short stories, but not much else.
- Easy to use: Just type one sentence.
- Control with simple commands: Use forward-slash(/) and command words to tell the AI what to do.
- Super easy to use
- You can stay in control using quick commands
- Helps you avoid writer’s block by getting things started
- A distraction-free interface keeps you focused
- Unlimited Premium plan
- Works best for long-form content
Available on: Web
Best suited for: Content writers in need of specific long-form article support.
Wordtune is a text rephrasing assistant that helps you put your best foot forward every time you write. It rephrases, shortens, lengthens, and varies the tone of your text as desired.
- Ultra-simple to use: Just highlight text and select the right text makeover option.
- Handy Chrome extension: Use Wordtune across a variety of social media and work platforms.
- Supports 7 languages: Available in Korean, Spanish, Hebrew, and four other languages.
- Clever tool for improving writing skills
- Allows you to rephrase, lengthen, shorten, and change copy tone
- Best for making changes on a micro level
- Team plan available
- Free 7-day trial available for Premium plan
- No mobile apps available yet
- Requires an internet connection
Available on: Web. Chrome extension available.
Best suited for: Anyone who wants to improve their written communication.
Outranking is an AI keyword research and writing assistant that essentially holds your hand throughout the content writing process. It does everything from generating titles to meta descriptions and outlines.
- Headline generator: Generates SEO-relevant headlines for your articles.
- SEO scoresheet: Get scores for topic coverage, keyword usage and more as you write.
- Format text with ease: Create headings, bold, italicize within the text for CMS platforms.
- Designed for SEO writers
- Makes recommendations for SEO components like meta descriptions
- Gives step by step content optimization instructions
- Can work with a content brief, as human writers do
- 7-day free trial
- Each plan tier has limits on the number of documents they can generate
Available on: Web.
Best suited for: Content marketers and SEO article writers.
ProWritingAid is dedicated to helping everyone become a better writer. It spots spelling, grammar, and general writing errors like repetitiveness, ensuring clarity and readability.
- Detailed writing reports: More than just a grammar checker.
- Thesaurus tool: Provides access to a wide variety of synonyms.
- Real-time writing mode: For distraction-free writing; no corrections are made until you’re done.
- Writing coach and editor in one
- Get synonym suggestions
- Easy to use
- Integrations with MS Word/Outlook, Google Docs, Scrivener, Open Office, and Final Draft
- Create your team’s style guide
- 14-day money-back guarantee
- Pricier than its competitors
Available on: Web and as a browser extension.
Best suited for: Content marketers and small business owners.
Grammarly is the go-to software for proofreading for grammar and spelling mistakes. The app goes the extra mile to check for clarity, tone, and passive sentences in your work.
- Efficient grammar tool: Identifies grammar and spelling errors and suggests corrections.
- Provides tone feedback: If you want to sound more friendly or confident, Grammarly can help.
- Work as a team: Grammarly Business allows you to build a style guide.
- Corrects often-missed grammar errors
- Grammarly keyboard available on iOS and Android devices
- Available as a browser extension, Word add-in, and more integrations
- Offers collaborative features
- Might miss some contextual errors
Available on: Web and as a browser extension, Word add-in, and more.
Best suited for: Anyone who wants to write better.
This AI copyediting software is targeted toward improving company-wide writing skills. It suggests edits to correct grammar, spelling, and style errors while documenting choices in a team style guide.
- Created for teams: Focuses on creating a consistent voice throughout your organization.
- Numerous integrations: From sales to email to customer and project management — integrations abound.
- Data security assurance: You can rest assured that Writer is serious about data protection.
- Great for teams since it centers on ensuring a consistent writing style
- Integrations maintain a smooth workflow
- Writer won’t store your data indefinitely and doesn’t train its AI using your data
- Helps you build a detailed style guide for your company
- 30-day free trial
- Only one (albeit affordable) plan is available, besides Enterprise level
Available on: Web, as a Chrome extension, and Word add-in.
Best suited for: Content marketing teams, blogging teams, and companies.
Rytr is an AI writing assistant that tackles a range of content needs, from SEO blog posts to emails. This software creates unique content using a variety of templates.
- 30+ writing templates: For multiple kinds of content.
- Uses valuable copywriting formulas: such as Problem-Agitate-Solution, for example.
- 20+ tones of voice: From serious to friendly or witty.
- Dedicated account manager and chat support
- Useful plagiarism checker built-in
- Multiple formatting capabilities make your work ready for export to CMS platforms
- Download copy in PDF and other formats
- Store and organize your work in folders right on the dashboard
- The free plan uses a credit system that some users may find annoying
Available on: Web and as a Chrome extension
Best suited for: Copywriters, content marketers, and agencies
11. Peppertype AI
This AI content generator works to create content using its many templates, which range from social media copy to content improver options.
- 30+ templates: Choose one of many templates to refresh your content.
- Request a new content type: Peppertype allows users to request new templates.
- Free trial: Try the product before you subscribe.
- Quick onboarding
- Unlimited free trial
- Human quality check for Enterprise users
- Download AI-generated content (for Growth plan and up)
- User interface design doesn’t allow you to view your input and output at the same time. You have to scroll and refresh to view.
Available on: Web
Best suited for: Content marketers, copywriters, and entrepreneurs.
A new kind of writing assistant
Before you hire a new human assistant, perhaps try one of these writing assistant tools first? They cost a fraction of the price, work in minutes, and are fun to use. Plus, if you do hire someone new, they can also make your new hire’s work faster.
Jarvis is our top writing tool because of its impressive ability to create content that sounds human — no matter what your niche is. When you choose Jarvis, you also get a responsive Facebook group of cool copywriters and content marketers who are ever ready to support you.
What are you waiting for? Sign up for Jarvis today!