One of the best feelings as a writer is a sentence that comes out just right. Between word count constraints, readability concerns, and targeting word counts; most writers often need to rewrite their sentences for length, simplicity, and clarity. This can be a tedious task if done manually. However, with sentence rewriter tools, it’s easier than ever to reword your sentences. We’ll show you several ways you can use these tools as a content marketer to create copy that converts. We’re also highlighting the top sentence rewriter tools available to try, both free and paid.
What is a sentence rewriter?
A sentence rewriter generates new variations of your written sentence in line with a specific purpose. These tools often use artificial intelligence (AI) and contextual synonyms to create sentences with the same meanings — in a different tone, a shorter length, or another level of readability. Often these tools may either work for paragraph-length sentences or also as paraphrasing tools for full-length articles.
How to use a sentence rewriter to improve your writing
Even professional writers need a sentence rewriter or paraphraser now and again. Here are four common ways to use these sentence changer generators:
Reword your sentences
When you write several articles every week, it’s easy to default to the familiar words you often overuse or even plagiarize yourself. A sentence rewriter saves you the stress of using a thesaurus and helps you avoid plagiarism. Just paste your own words in the text box and let the tool paraphrase your sentence.
Expand your sentences
Expanding sentences can shed more light on your subject matter and prove your expertise to your audience. We hate to be nitpicky, but a well-expanded sentence (no fluff!) can also help you reach your word count with ease. Sentence change generators can help with this.
Shorten your sentences
On the other hand, if you’re a verbose writer, you may need help shortening your sentences. Shorter sentences are easier to skim and understand. They may also keep you from going past your word count — and they come in handy for social media content (hey Twitter!) if you’re not a fan of endless threads.
Simplify your sentences
Only 12% of American adults have “proficient literacy levels.” Most of the country’s adult population can read confidently at a 7th-8th grade level, so writing simple sentences is crucial.
True, your audience may be among the 12%. However, everyone appreciates information that is easy to digest. Sentence rewording tools make your writing more enjoyable to read than academic journals.
The Jarvis Explain It to a Child template shines particularly for simplifying copy. Jarvis allows you to select a grade level for your text and it then re-words it for your target audience without losing the essence. Here’s an example:
7 sentence change generators for writing stronger sentences
Ready to get some help with refining your sentences? We’ve selected the top seven sentence rewriters for you.
- INK for All
- SEO Magnifier
Our AI copywriting assistant, Jarvis stands out because it doesn’t just substitute synonyms. The tool actually thinks about your sentence and then uses its bank of content knowledge to summarize, simplify or expand it as needed.
We already showed you how Jarvis simplifies text using the Explain It to a Child template. The Text Summarizer template shortens your text, distilling the primary message while the Sentence Expander template does the opposite, adding useful information and lengthening copy.
Here’s the Sentence Expander in action:
- 52+ templates, including at least three options for rewriting sentences and entire articles
- “Thinking” tool overhauls content instead of simply replacing it with synonyms
- Writes high-quality content that flows and sounds like it was written by humans
- Available in 25+ languages
- Allows you to select any tone of writing voice
- Sentence rewriter templates are available for all pricing plans
- More expensive than competitor tools
- Limited number of words for Starter plan
Pricing: Starter, Pro, and Boss Mode plans cost $29, $109, and $119 respectively.
Wordtune is a sentence rewriter that allows you to rephrase, shorten, or expand written information. You can also change the tone of text from formal to casual and vice-versa. This simple tool works best for shorter sentences and not entire articles.
You can add the Wordtune extension to your browser and use it to polish your text in emails, social media updates, and general correspondence.
Here’s Wordtune in action:
- Use on the go with the Wordtune Chrome extension
- Easy to use tool for rewriting sentences
- Offers a free plan with up to 20 sentence rewrites per day
- 7-day Premium free trial for new users
- “Shorten” and “Expand” are Premium features
- Only available in English
Pricing: Offers a free plan. Premium costs $9.99/month and $119.88/year.
This paraphrasing tool helps you rewrite sentences and full-length articles using AI. QuillBot can also change the tone and style of your writing and fix grammatical errors while you rewrite your text.
With QuillBot, you can determine how much of your text the tool changes, and you can choose from a range of synonyms to find the best word for your copy. QuillBot also has a Summarizer tool that generates output either as bullet points or paragraphs.
Here’s the rewriting feature in action:
- Allows you to choose specific synonyms
- Fixes grammatical errors as you rewrite sentences
- Integrates with Docs, Word, and Chrome
- Works as a sentence and article rewriter
- 100% money-back guarantee for 3 days after
- Leaves a lot of work up to you in synonym selection
- Very limited free plan
Pricing: The Premium plan is $4.95/month and $39.95/year.
Paraphrasing tool Outwrite offers readers several sentence and article rewriting services with their Premium plan. You can improve, expand or shorten sentences. The tool also provides additional suggestions for vocabulary, stylistic, and structural improvements.
Outwrite integrates well with multiple platforms such as Google Docs, Outlook, WordPress, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Plus, you can use the extension if you have a Chrome browser.
- Provides suggestions for rewriting sentences
- Makes grammar and spelling recommendations
- Integrates with a myriad of other work platforms
- Offers plagiarism checks to ensure original content
- 7-day Premium free trial for new users
- No rewriting with the free plan, just spelling, and grammar corrections
Pricing: The premium plan is $9.95/month billed annually, Teams plan is $7.95/month billed annually.
This sentence paraphraser is dedicated to sentence rephrasing by synonym substitution. For every sentence you type in, Ginger will change a couple of synonyms to provide alternative phrasing.
The free plan only allows for a limited number of rephrases, but on the Premium plan, you get unlimited generations. You also get access to a grammar checker, more synonyms, and translation services.
Here’s how it works.
- Rephrases short texts by swapping words for synonyms
- Provides grammar checks on the paid plan
- Allows for translation into 40 languages
- No options to shorten, simplify, or expand text
- Synonym-based rewriting can become choppy or use complex words
Pricing: The Premium plan is $13.99/month for a limited time.
INK is a combined AI writing and SEO assistant. Their sentence rewriting service allows you to simplify, expand or shorten text as needed. INK provides a distraction-free interface and allows you to generate as many output options as needed.
We tested out their Sentence Expander tool, and the output was passable, although not quite as good as Jarvis. See for yourself.
- Downloadable for Mac, Windows, and Linux
- WordPress plugin to edit on your CMS
- Tools to simplify, reword, and expand your text
- Robust free plan
- Content reads more formulaic than human-written
- Desktop apps still require an internet connection
Pricing: The INK Pro plan costs $35, while the INK Pro Unlimited plan costs $99. There is also a free plan.
7. SEO Magnifier Sentence Rewriter
SEO Magnifier has a set of writing and search engine optimization tools. One of these is their Sentence Rewriter. This rewriter functions most similarly to an article spinner by recommending substitute synonyms for words in your sentence.
You then have to select your preferred substitute and create a unique sentence (and unique content) of your own. We used the same sentence example, and here’s what the tool generated.
- Free web-based tool
- Website offers other content spinning and paraphrasing services
- No desktop app to install
- Quick and easy to use
- Simply rewrites with no options to shorten or expand sentences
- Dated user interface
Pricing: Free tool.
Help your sentences reach their full potential
If you’re tired of wishing you could wave a wand over certain sentences in your copy, the rewriting tools on this list are for you. Our top choice is Jarvis, a comprehensive writing assistant with templates that do more than substitute synonyms.
Jarvis rethinks your texts and can expand, summarize, simplify, and improve them as needed. Help your content reach its full potential — and improve your writing skills — by trying out the service. Sign up for Jarvis today.